Grilled Summer Vegetables Hummus Pita Pizza
August 15, 2010
This hummus pizza won't weigh you down!
We all love pizza, but sometimes pizza during summertime can just feel too heavy. All that cheese and heavy sauce can weigh you down and make you feel like wearing a big t-shirt instead of a bathing suit. But if you're craving pizza, why not try a Grilled Summer Vegetables Hummus Pita Pizza with Sabra Hummus? It's delicious!
This recipe takes the basic idea of pizza, but adds tons of grilled veggies and uses Sabra Hummus instead of cheese and sauce. What does that mean? It means that you get a ton of nutritious veggies and protein. Serve this pizza at your next summer BBQ and your guests will not be disappointed. The Sabra Hummus adds a deliciously satisfying touch to a light, nutritious pizza!
What you need:
* 1 ½ cups summer squash (about 2 medium-sized) yellow and/or green
* 2 vine ripe tomatoes
* 1 red onion
* 3 (6 inch) round pitas
* ¼ cup olive oil
* 1 cup Sabra Classic Hummus
* 2 teaspoons salt
* Black pepper and salt to taste
What to do:
1) Slice summer squash in quarter-inch rounds. Place in bowl and add 2 T olive oil and ¼ t salt.
2) Peel and cut red onion in half. Then slice each half with grain in 1/3 inch wedges. Place in bowl with 1 T olive oil and sprinkle with salt and mix.
3) Cut tomatoes in half and slice in 4-6 half moon wedges each. Place in bowl with 1 T olive oil and ¼ t salt and combine
4) Grill summer squash for about 4 minutes on each side. Grill onions about 5 minutes, rotating once. Grill tomatoes about 5 minutes, rotating once.
5) Warm pita on the grill about 3 minutes on each side. Once warm, remove the pita from the heat and slather with 1/3 C Sabra Hummus
6) Top with all the veggies. Cut into 8 pieces.
Serve at your next summer party or have a nice light summer meal on your own! Now you never have to feel guilty about indulging in pizza again. In fact, the more you eat the more veggies you're getting!
Recipe by Colombe Jacobsen.